Saturday, June 29, 2013

The Gift.

Steve Prefontaine once famously said "To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." Many people have their own interpretations regarding that iconic quote, but to me The Gift is a sweeping statement that encapsulates our very ability to run, to make ourselves choose to suffer, temporarily. There are billions of people on this planet. What percentage of people actually have the means to pursue running competitively? Here's a good starting point: They say that if you have money in the bank, your wallet, and some spare change, then you are among the top 8 percent of the world's most wealthy. A small fraction of that 8 percent will ever discover the joy of a PR, of a simple trail run, of celebrating health each day, of feeling tired as hell going into a workout and loving (almost) every minute of it. In other words, I consider myself (and many around me) to be within the smallest percentage of luckiest human beings in history. I don't know how the hell it happened, but the fact is, it did. I've been given The Gift. Now my responsibility is to cherish it, to nurture it, to spread its joy to others. To get the absolute most out of myself while I'm young, and to find balance, do it while dedicating myself to improving the lives of others. It would be a crime to sacrifice the gift, so I will always strive to push the pace, in life, and in running.

No comments:

Post a Comment